Four Security Tips To Keep Your Valuables And Property Safe During A Move
May 30th, 2019
Whether you are moving across Houston or across the country, your property is very vulnerable to theft and vandalism during a move. When planning your move, you also need to consider how you will keep both properties safe and protect your possessions. Fortunately, with a little pre-planning keeping everything safe is easy. Here are four tips to ensure you are fully protected during your move.
1. Install A Security System In Your New Home Before Your Move
The first step you should take is to install a security system in your new home before you move in. This will help protect your home while it sits empty and will protect your valuables while you are moving in. This is also a great time to consider some of the newer features available for home security systems such as smart locks, doorbell cameras, and automated thermostats.
2. Do Not Disconnect Your Security Service At Your Old Home
A common mistake homeowners make is to disconnect the security service at their old Houston home once they’ve sold their home. However, until the new homeowners have taken full ownership of the home, you are still liable for any damage. Keeping your security system active can help protect your property and reduce your liability. This will also help protect your possessions during the move.
3. Secure Your Old Residence When You Leave
A security system will do a great job at protecting your old home until the new homeowners move in. However, you will still want to secure your home so that you don’t experience any crime. Here are some key things to do:
- Shut and lock all windows and pull down the blinds or close the curtains
- Lock all doors, including the garage door and the doors on any outhouses like sheds
- Close and lock all gates
- Set the alarm
- Give the new homeowners all the keys and the alarm codes
4. Secure Your New Residence When You Arrive
Whether you are extending your move over several days or plan to move in the moment you arrive, you will want to secure your new home as well. Here are the key things to do:
- Make sure your new security system is running correctly
- Put all your valuables away and lock them up in a safe immediately
- Lock the entire house including doors and windows
- If you are leaving the moving truck overnight, take out all of your possessions before leaving. A good idea is to leave the back slightly open, so thieves know there is nothing inside to steal.
Following these four tips will not only keep your new home safe, but your old Houston home. These tips work to protect you whether you are hiring movers or moving yourself. So when drawing up your moving plan, make sure to include these four steps to keep both your homes and all your possessions safe from criminals.